Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free Enterprise Money can't buy everything

#1 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:14 AM

In a world where everything comes at a price, I have decided to say "fuck that, why should it"

I have decided to start my own company. I still have to work out a whole lot of shit, but the primary objective of my new company is simple. Everything I do will be free ... completely & unconditionally. For a start my services will include Web Design, Graphic Design, Translations from English to Afrikaans & Marketing Assistance. I hope to expand this further as and when my skills and resources grow. In the long run I would like to "employ" other people (for free), who can also offer their skills to others (for free). The final objective would be a network of people from across the world who provide free services.
maybe I will implement an optional "I owe you one" system, where people or businesses who benefitted from my free services have the opportunity to "return a favor", but that's just a maybe...

#2 User is offline   silverchair Icon

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:56 AM

Sounds like a brilliant idea in theory, but how will you cover the cost of running a company let alone the cost of your living? For starters it costs about £50 to set up a UK Limited company directly through Companies House (probably around £250 buying one from an accountant or similar). Not to mention the accountancy involved which is some-ungodly-amount per hour. Will your clients have the option of donating?

I might be able to help you out with the initial set-up of the Company, or at least let you know of the process involved... if you are in the UK.

Also, with people being people, you are bound to get used for your services and get nothing back.

#3 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

But that's the beauty of it. I don't expect anything back.

I'm in South Africa. Unless a business turns over more than R150 000 per annum, registration is optional. Since my turnover would be zero...
As for the living thing. I have a regular job with a regular income to cover all my living expenses. I have enough free time to do the things I like for free. For example, I will be visiting a local comic shop later this month (everything has been arranged) to help them with the general layout of the shop and some promotional displays. My fee - nothing. Also, the owner previously complained to me that the plastic dividers that he uses in his comic display boxes never last. This weekend past I spent about two hours and made fifty Masonite dividers that I plan to give to him free of charge. The total cost to me is nominal and barely makes an impression on my monthly budget.
As for getting used. Since I'm not charging for my services, I have full right to tell a customer to "fuck off and die" whenever I feel like it.

Still, I have a lot of shit to work out before I can officially start advertising my services.

#4 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:10 PM

Indeed, it's very admirable mamba. I've recently gone the other way as far as my freelance work is concerned and I've started charging more for it. The reason being that a) my time is worth more to me now than it ever has, and B) I don't want to devalue my service or spend time producing something the client thinks has little worth due to it being cheap. This also roots out the timewasters from the people who will actually get benefit from the end product.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#5 Guest_RAW_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

I charge as much as my plumber does.

I have also 'volunteered' for community projects. Which is what this equates to. Voluntary work. It's good to do, but don't kid your self.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users