Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does Religion Change A Person?

#1 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

The whole question is in the title and I was going to give my own opinion here, but somehow I just cant find the right words or the right place to begin, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some light and give me a starting point.

The reason I am asking is because about 3 years ago I changed from being a devoted Christian to being a ??? (I'm still to find a religion that describes what I believe). Personally I don't feel that I have changed (except that I am completely devoid of any feelings of guilt over anything I do), but I'm looking from the inside out. My wife thinks I have, but that could just be her perception of me that has changed because I no longer believe in the same god that she does.

#2 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Do you feel the need to have a religion, as opposed to just your personal beliefs?
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#3 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

No, I'm perfectly happy with my personal beliefs. Some people (my wife in particular) just thinks that I am not the same person that I used to be because I no longer believe in god. I on the other hand maintain that except for my beliefs, I have not changed (Well I have insofar as personal growth is concerned, but not fundamentally and not as a result of my lack of religion)

#4 User is offline   Villager Icon

• Group: Donators
  • Interests:Few and far between

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

Personal beliefs /= religion ?

#5 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

Interesting, but I think the x variable would be the type of faith you're talking about here, because clearly a Latitudinarian turning into a secular humanist is not such a radical change as a born-again Christian making the same transition. I think the type of instinctive skepsis and indifferentism most agnostics evince is indeed a completely different type of mentalite to the kind you see in evangelical Christians, but it isn't so different to the kind you see in many Anglicans, for example. Turn it around a bit: have you noticed any concomitant changes in your political, philosophical and social outlook since God ceased to be the lynch-pin of your personal universe?

#6 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:03 PM

If religion didn't change a person, what would be the point of it?
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#7 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

As usual Mr Fred Smith's comments just went woosh over my head. I know he probably said something useful, but I'd need a dictionary and a lot of time to figure out what...

A - I think you're onto something, which sums up my position/view. Except for not believing in God or Jesus I still have the same values and the same general outlook on life. The only difference being in that where before I used to wake up and thank God for everything that is good and asked him to take away everything bad, I now wake up and simply think these are the things that make my life worth living and those are the things that I have to change to make it even better.

Also, I adhere to my own set of rules. Killing or stealing is not bad because God said so, but because I don't believe I have any right to take someone else's life or belongings. I am governed by respect for others rather than obedience to some unseen god's laws and as long as I don't disrespect anybody else I need not feel guilty about anything I do. Forgiveness is as simple as an apology that is accepted.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users