The Grinding Shed: Comic - Daredevil Father - The Grinding Shed

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comic - Daredevil Father Anybody collect or read comics?

#1 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

We all know Daredevil, but until you've read this you will never know Daredevil. Although it took Joe Quasada 3 years to finish this 6 issue mini-series, it turned out to be well worth the wait. Redefined everything I thought I knew about Matt Murdock and is the first comic to make me actually shed a tear (Even the original The Crow Graphic Novel couldn't do that).

#2 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

I'll be honest, I have tried but I've never managed to get into comics. They seem like expensive, brief books and not much else to me. Some of them are eye-candy but that's about it. And I thought V for Vendetta was shite as well.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#3 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

Yep, you're either a comic fan or you're not ... it's like being a smoker or an alcoholic.

#4 User is offline   Aqua Icon

• Icepick Person

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'm not so much into Daredevil, but there are a few comics Roach and I have been into lately. He can tell you about the ones he's read, but I picked up Nyx the other day and just loved the art, as well as the concept. The other one Roach is more into is The Walking Dead, I believe. And I recently finished reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, book 2. I tend to read them in big chunks all at once.
Ars longa vita brevis est.

#5 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, from what I heard Walking Dead is really cool. Only reason I don't collect it is because I'm not into horror comics (movies yeah, but not comics). Another of my favourites at the moment is Hulk (Planet Hulk story arch) and Ghost Rider (Daniel Way is one kick ass writer)

#6 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

Ah aha ha!

Yes, I forgot Transmetropolitan, I read that for a while and it was really very good, seemed a bit more adult than most. Lucy reads a few more than me (Kabuki, The Invisibles etc) so I occasionally read them too.

#7 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:06 AM

Oh yeah that reminds me ... John Woo's Seven Brothers written by Garth Ennis and published by Virgin Comics. Wow that just seriously rocks ... not for kiddies ... but what else would you expect from Garth Ennis.

#8 User is offline   Jake Icon

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:38 AM

The Walking Dead is very good, as is Transmet (classic). A few ones that I've recently gotten into are DMZ and Y The Last Man, both of which have been pretty fruitful. Honestly, Vertigo has been one of the most consistent comic labels in the past (Preacher, Transmet, Fables, V for Vendetta, et al), and still have quite a few good offerings, both of which I previously mentioned along with The Exterminators. Definitely worth more than a cursory glance, which is much more than can be said for most of the superhero bullshit these days.
"so long to you 'moderates', yeah, it's time for getting down/your peace and quiet is criminal/while there's injustice in your town" - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

#9 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

Have to agree with jake on Exterminators, but Vertigo has produced a lot of shit over the years (maybe that's not the right term ... they produced a lot of things that I personally didn't like, although I know of others who did, so yeah, to each his/her own)

#10 User is offline   Duncan-O Icon

• Group: Donators

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

View PostGreen Mamba, on Mar 5 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

Yep, you're either a comic fan or you're not ... it's like being a smoker or an alcoholic.

Nonsmoker, functional alcoholic, sometimes comic fan.

And V for Vendetta is utter shit, though I've only seen the movie.

Though I would like to walk into a comic store (the ONE that Fayette-nam has to offer) and get started on a good series. I collected Star Wars and G.I. Joe religiously when I was very young, and later got into Spiderman and X-Men, among a few others, in a very limited way.

I feel like I've missed out: comic books lend themselves to storyboarding in a most obvious way, and I love seeing this influence in movies (most recently the very enjoyable 300). The framing of a camera shot, the frozen moment in time (including the quick, in-and-out slo-mo sequences trendy nowadays) are two things good movies and good comics have in common, and I'm always impressed like a debutante by them. Can I take any of these series mentioned in previous posts as recommendations?

This post has been edited by Duncan-O: 11 March 2007 - 03:40 AM

"...though their principles were rather vague, their hatred of privilege and injustice was perfectly genuine."

#11 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

One thing that bugs me about comics is how bloody expensive they are, especially in comparison to books. OK they're usually all-colour and printed on better stock, but £5 for a pamphlet? MMMmmm...

#12 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

I love reading "Strangers in Paradise", "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman, and a blessed few other "comics".

I'm an elitest when it comes to what I will read.
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#13 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Now that's a good idea.

Am I right to assume I'd be supporting terrorism by downloading these digital comics? If so, I'm all over it.

#14 User is offline   Jake Icon

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

Also, ZCultFM.com, a comics-specific torrent site. You have to join the forums and post once or twice, but once you do that you get access to their trackers which often have a hell of a selection.

ADDENDUM: To avoid a double-post, anyone here read Scott Pilgrim yet? I've heard nothing but good things about the series, and am planning on ordering all three off of Amazon, but figured that this was right up a few AKpCEPer's alley and am kinda farming for more input.

This post has been edited by Jake: 12 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

"so long to you 'moderates', yeah, it's time for getting down/your peace and quiet is criminal/while there's injustice in your town" - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

#15 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

Just found this. It looks...well, it looks like it might have been written by cauchy-3.

Britney Spears at a concert in Miami and Florida behaved as a whore and stupid bitch. Millions starfuckers and cruelly kidnappers saw her nude Britney Spears topless. After the concert the spoilt rock-star was abducted by beautiful sisters. Then a horrible nightmare of humiliation abuse starts for the young celebrity Britney Spears. In a dungeon she was fastened with handcuffs to a wall and cruelly whipped until the blood appeared on her juicy breasts and luxurious ass. It is pleasant for starfuckers to torture and humiliate Britney Spears forced in BDSM comics. Abductors brutally torture and cruelly punish the nude bitch for disobedience. The young gentle beauty did not use to such manipulations so she prays her new masters for mercy. "Stop!!! Please!!! ...No No No!!! Don't fuck me" - screaming in hysterics abducted Britney Spears. But kidnappers are cruel and they brutally fuck the whore in her small ass causing Britney strong pain. The bitch again prays for mercy and that makes the kidnappers angry.... They decide to teach sexy Britney to obey to her masters. Two long cocks are deeply shoved into her pussy penetrating her cervix. Britney Spears groans from the passion captured her, all her naked body voluptuously twitches. She likes brutally sex and cruelly beating. Starfuckers by Gary Roberts. Britney Spears - celebrity comics. Abducted Sisters decided to punish the bitch and connected electrodes to her nipples and pussy. The abductors loved that idea too so they began supplying current and enjoying Britney's torments, shouts and groans. The cruelly mistress took the heated rod and brutally branded the bitch, having left her emblem on Britney's firm breast. Nobody will hear her shouts and see the slave's torments. Britney Spears comics only for you.

Abducted Britney Comics

See, if Shaggy wrote like this, his publishing deal would be a foregone conclusion.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users