The Grinding Shed: Comic - Daredevil Father - The Grinding Shed

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comic - Daredevil Father Anybody collect or read comics?

#16 User is offline   Jack Icon

• Group: Members
  • The Herbert West of AKPCEP

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

View PostAlexander, on Mar 5 2007, 04:17 PM, said:

I'll be honest, I have tried but I've never managed to get into comics. They seem like expensive, brief books and not much else to me. Some of them are eye-candy but that's about it. And I thought V for Vendetta was shite as well.

That's because you're doing it wrong. And that goes double for V.

View PostGreen Mamba, on Mar 5 2007, 05:25 PM, said:

Yep, you're either a comic fan or you're not ... it's like being a smoker or an alcoholic.

That's a silly statement. That's exactly the same as saying either you're a book fan or not. And if comics differ from books for you, please read the above reply to Alex.

View PostThe_Roach, on Mar 6 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

Walking Dead is exceptionally cool, my zombie obsession notwithstanding. The character development as the story progresses is utterly fascinating.

Agree 100% here. Even if you think it kind of slumps around TPB7, it picks right up again. I have no idea how he manages to keep the quality so consistently high, but he does. And finally, and author he isn't the least bit afraid of killing and/or maiming each and every one of his characters.

View PostAlexander, on Mar 6 2007, 10:46 PM, said:

Yes, I forgot Transmetropolitan, I read that for a while and it was really very good, seemed a bit more adult than most.

If you're done with Transmet, you should have a look at DMZ. Same same, but different. Angry political stuff, and well written.

View PostThe_Roach, on Mar 8 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

Does Marvel not own an imprint of really intelligent stuff or do I have to settle for all superhero fare? I like a lot of their characters but I largely don't feel they're talking to me, Punisher excluded.

Short answer: No, no intelligent stuff. They have MAX for EXTRAHARDCOREMEGAADULTVIOLENCE(butnosexofcourse) sillines, and Icon for creator-owned stuff. Ed Brubaker is currently writing Incognito for Icon, which I've heard is very good, and he's certainly a competent writer. If you want intelligent stuff with their main staple of characters, you're shit out of luck, I'm afraid. Although, I think Brubaker's work on both Captain America and X-Men was really good.

View PostAlexander, on Mar 11 2007, 12:58 PM, said:

One thing that bugs me about comics is how bloody expensive they are, especially in comparison to books. OK they're usually all-colour and printed on better stock, but ‚£5 for a pamphlet? MMMmmm...

Yes, the floppies are definitely crazy expensive, but you can buy tradepaperbacks and get 6 floppies for 7-10, which sounds like a fairly fair deal to me.

And just for the record, as there seems to be a tinge of confusion, comics != superheroes. If you think superheroes are silly || adolescent || waste of time (which no one could fault you for), don't read superhero comics, read other comics.

This post has been edited by Jack: 03 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Cthulhu f'thagn

#17 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I would like to stand by my opinion on V for Vendetta (I *almost* enjoyed the film more, which is a damning indictment if ever there was one) but since I posted that, I've read Watchmen which was bloody great. Conversely, I expect the film will be shite.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users