The Grinding Shed: How Do You Change The World? - The Grinding Shed

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Change The World? One person at a time?

#1 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Ever since I realised that there is more to life than the narrow-minded beliefs that have been passed down to me from the generations before me ... I have been trying to change people. Sharing my thoughts and ideas in the hopes that somewhere in the abundance of ideas swimming through the sea of grey, they would find something that would inspire them to look at the world a little differently ... maybe even inspire them to change it.

Somehow, somewhere along the line I never realised that all this time I've been standing on the inside looking out...

So, if you want to change the world ... just do it... it's all a matter of perception.

#2 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:11 PM

What was it Ghandi said? "Be the change you want to see in the world."

I think if people worried less about changing other people, and looked at themselves instead, the world would be a better place.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#3 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

It would be the height of intellectual hubris to attempt to change something I do not fully understand.

#4 User is offline   shaggy Icon

• The Storyteller/Intern

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Way I see it, you cannot turn away or shirk your responsibility to at least try to be of service to the world. Way I see it, being a service to the world usually comes in a form that is not straightforward, or easily "served". The more you fight to be of service to the world, the more it will stomp you, spit at you, curse you for ever trying.

However, in the moments when you are closest to giving up, saying "fuck it all, the world is shit", it is in those moments that something usually comes along and reminds you why you tried to help the world in the first place... a small signal of beauty and happiness that IS attainable.

To expect to be able to force those moments... well, the world cannot be forced. People won't even accept good advice, they'll just tell you to "fuck off and mind your business". I always tell people, you can stand at the podium and announce, "it is not a good idea to stick your dick in a blender" and mankind will curse you saying "don't tell me what to do" and proceed to shove their dick in a blender just to spite anyone who says its a bad idea.

People are fucked. But then, these same people will turn around and listen to a bible, or admire a superhero... never realizing that these things are advice as well... never thinking of them as advice.

My advice? If you are trying to change the world, never make it seem like you are. The best advice is advice that doesn't look like advice. Because its the only advice the world will take.
Dog-faced demons approach the circumference of my sanctuary. Strange lines appear carved on my door ...and the light from the window grows increasingly dim. This is the Book of the servant of the Gods

Monster Intern
The Storyteller Squidoo

#5 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

View PostMr_Fred_Smith, on Mar 7 2007, 08:18 PM, said:

It would be the height of intellectual hubris to attempt to change something I do not fully understand.

*Thinks about modifying Am's post*

*Thinks better of it*
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#6 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

View PostMr_Fred_Smith, on Mar 7 2007, 08:18 PM, said:

It would be the height of anal rimhole penetration to attempt to agitate something with a runny pomegranate.

*Thinks about modifying own post*

*Doesn't think as deeply as Alex and goes ahead anyway*

#7 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

I think for me, I show the children that THERE are positive adult influences and that SOMEONE out there believes in them, and isn't to fucked up on drugs and self abuse to raise a child.

Kids can't help who their dumb ass parents are. So, I am there for those that need support. It's my inadvertent way of trying to change parts of the world.
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#8 User is offline   Green Mamba Icon

• Interests:The Symbiosis of Life & Death, Comics & Web Design

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

View Postshaggy, on Mar 7 2007, 11:12 PM, said:

My advice? If you are trying to change the world, never make it seem like you are. The best advice is advice that doesn't look like advice. Because its the only advice the world will take.

Now that makes better sense than anything I've heard in a while.

Kind of makes you wonder if the way the last few generations completely fucked up the world isn't a good thing ... because when our kids see what we and our parents have done, they'll probably have no choice but to fix everything, purely because its impossible to fuck it up any further.

This post has been edited by Green Mamba: 08 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users