The Grinding Shed: Workplace Spying - The Grinding Shed

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Workplace Spying

#16 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

• Group: Donators
  • Interests:This and that. More this than that if I'm honest.

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

View PostMr_Fred_Smith, on Apr 7 2007, 09:53 PM, said:

I don't think you can call use of company technology theft as such, either - by the same token they're stealing from you if you take work home unpaid, which of course many people do.

doing non-work-related stuff on company time, using the firm's bandwidth to check online accounts/send emails etc - it's all using property of others not for the purpose it is officially there for. i'm playing devil's advocate here obviously, just to illustrate their position.

so anyway, HG - how did the quarterly review go? anything said about it?
Devilishly handsome and sarcastic as hell

#17 User is offline   shaggy Icon

• Group: Members
  • The Storyteller/Intern

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

Devil's advocate indeed.

Personally, I don't do any of the above (checking banking accounts stuff like that) on work computers but not because I think its unethical... I just am paranoid beyond paranoid. I feel guilty on the break computers typing on MSN... but meh.

Way I see it... the company should realize that, if you segregate people for 8-12 hours a day away from society, they are going to bend a few rules to regain that connection... its just human.

Whether or not its right... well, I think the issue is not whether or not it is appropriate for them to spend their time doing those things... that's ok. They should just TELL THEIR EMPLOYERS that they do it. That way, morale doesn't suffer from "Big Brother" esque crapola.
Dog-faced demons approach the circumference of my sanctuary. Strange lines appear carved on my door ...and the light from the window grows increasingly dim. This is the Book of the servant of the Gods

Monster Intern
The Storyteller Squidoo

#18 User is offline   cyprusudo Icon

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

I did a little googling on the subject. What this amounts to is a share desktop program in the guise of spyware. It's way more complicated than a keylogger. This is big brother looking over your shoulder. According to the brochure, It can be used to execute commands, Copy/delete files, and view your desktop in real time. I'd be interested to know if your boss's desktop is monitored by his boss.
Yo Momma is So Fat, She Walked in to Her New House and the Tires Exploded!
Suicidal4Life

#19 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

View PostpH5.5, on Apr 7 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

doing non-work-related stuff on company time, using the firm's bandwidth to check online accounts/send emails etc - it's all using property of others not for the purpose it is officially there for. i'm playing devil's advocate here obviously, just to illustrate their position.

Absolutely, but many employers factor in lunchbreaks and arrival before work, during which period access to the internet etc. is open season - I know my own does.

#20 User is offline   HockeyGod Icon

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

Absolutely, but many employers factor in lunchbreaks and arrival before work, during which period access to the internet etc. is open

My company factors in lunchbreaks and bathroom breaks and makes us stay that much longer. We're required to put in 8 hours working in front of our omputer..

Thus, anybody who goes to lunch and uses the bathroom is required to stay till at least 6, not 5. i work 8:30-6 every day (and take a 30-40 minute lunch...eaten at my desk while browsing the news) and am always the first person to leave.
Just another face in a faceless crowd; just another king in a headless crown.
.: dotCULT :.

#21 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

The fact that your existence is in front of a screen all day baffles me.

I'd become exceedingly bored and morally displaced at such a stagnant tenure.

Props to you for putting up with it.
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#22 User is offline   HockeyGod Icon

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

Well, I no longer need worry about what to do... I was fired today after my boss found out I deleted his spyware program.

#23 User is offline   shaggy Icon

• The Storyteller/Intern

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hmm... well that is highly fucked. Way I see it, sounds like your better off without the spying bastards anyway. If you ask me, if you are going to work for spying bastards, they should tell you upfront they are spying bastards. I have no issues with someone being upfront about spying on their employees (except a general bitterness) but denying it and then firing somebody over something they "don't do"...

"Well, we don't have this program" Hmm... what's this... END TASK... "YOU'RE FIRED!" for what? "Deleting a program that doesn't exist." Oh. Ok.

Fuck sakes. I'm angry for ya, man... that's fucked.
Dog-faced demons approach the circumference of my sanctuary. Strange lines appear carved on my door ...and the light from the window grows increasingly dim. This is the Book of the servant of the Gods

Monster Intern
The Storyteller Squidoo

#24 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Bloody hell, sorry to hear that, HG - shouldn't worry too much, though, sounds like a battery farm anyway, and with your skills you'll probably end up in a better job in no time at all. In the meantime, find yourself a solicitor - this sounds like a clear breach of contract by your employer.

This post has been edited by Mr_Fred_Smith: 09 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

#25 User is offline   The_Roach Icon

• Group: Moderators

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

View PostHockeyGod, on Apr 9 2007, 06:18 AM, said:

Well, I no longer need worry about what to do... I was fired today after my boss found out I deleted his spyware program.

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your job but I hope it was a learning experience. It was arrogance to expect that replacing the program with a blank file would get you off the hook in terms of the monitoring. Not to be rude, serves you right. We both know you'll land on your feet.

View Postshaggy, on Apr 9 2007, 09:50 AM, said:

Hmm... well that is highly fucked. Way I see it, sounds like your better off without the spying bastards anyway. If you ask me, if you are going to work for spying bastards, they should tell you upfront they are spying bastards. I have no issues with someone being upfront about spying on their employees (except a general bitterness) but denying it and then firing somebody over something they "don't do"...

"Well, we don't have this program" Hmm... what's this... END TASK... "YOU'RE FIRED!" for what? "Deleting a program that doesn't exist." Oh. Ok.

Without knowing the entirety of the situation, I'd say it's more than just possible that the program did not go into use until after HG was hired. So, unless this is a brand new job (which it is not, seeing as HG's quarterly review was pending), reasonable doubt would suggest that nobody lied to him regarding it. And if such a measure were announced in a company memo, it would be absolutely horrific for morale. I can think of no further necessary proof than this thread for that revelation.

#26 User is offline   HockeyGod Icon

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:43 PM

Yeah there's no telling how long it was there.

He told me it was only on my computer, and had been there for a fwe hours.

Then a fellow employee sends me an email and says "hey, he called a meeting and told us it was only there for 2 weeks and he removed it... and that you were fired for performance not for that, but what he didn't say is that he replaced it with a program that hides itself better"

Owell.. I'll glady sit and accept unemployment until I find a job at a trustworthy company.

#27 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:43 PM

sounds like you are better off with out that job.

They are gay.

(that's the level of my intellect at the moment!) ;)
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#28 User is offline   grapey Icon

• Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:17 AM

Best of luck in getting a better (non big brother) job quickly.
At last....

#29 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Yeah dude that is way harsh.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#30 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

• Interests:This and that. More this than that if I'm honest.

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

jesus, that is quite extreme. completely takes the fun of playing devil's advocate away as well. sorry to hear it HG, and i hope everything turns out well in the end. i'm sure it will, everything for a reason and all that.
Devilishly handsome and sarcastic as hell

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users