• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook/myspace Balls?

#1 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

I was thinking today, and you may disagree, but BITD we used the internet to meet and talk to people from all over the world - with the advent of sites like Facebook, we've started using the internet to speak to people we're going to see the next day at work, or in the pub.

MySpace is just bloody awful, and further fragments the idea because you can amass thousands of "friends" who mainly just add you because they also want to have thousands of "friends". It's a load of fucking shit. Nobody actually talks to one another apart from "THX 4 THE ADD LOLZ" and save for the female goths taking pictures down their cleavage it's worthless.

Facebook at least is well programmed and looks nice, but although I've come into contact with a few people from my past through it (which is a double edged sword) I've found it to be something of an invasion of my privacy as people "tag" me in photos they've uploaded without my sanction etc.

And don't even get me started on facile shit like Bebo...
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#2 User is offline   cris Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:music- Mostly classic rock and death metal my faviortes being Rush and Opeth. I also like classical, celtic and andes music.<br>others- Swords, daggers, renaissance faires, decorating, art, antiques, sex, collectables, sci-fi movies, reading.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

I think they have there place. My daughter is on facebook, and I think it has helped with our move away from her friends. We've been here for a year and a half now and she is still in touch with the old friends through facebook, that an the occasional phone call. I am pretty certain that she wouldn't be in contact if it wasn't for facebook and it has made the adjustment to moving easier. She still feels involved with their lives and can keep her old friends in touch on her new life in Canada. Next year I'm sure it will be the same with her friends here, when she goes off to university.

A friend of my other daughter, who is actually a grinder here, is also started a Xanga diary of sorts while she is in Japan as an exchange student for a semester. I think it is great way of keeping friends and family posted on how you are doing, what your learning, new life experiences while half way across the globe. etc... And not have to email everyone under the sun.

Like I said, I think it has it's place, people are moving more, traveling more and the world is becoming a smaller place. As long as people use the sites with the knowledge that anyone can be reading it, It's great for keeping in touch with family and friends.
Along for the ride!

#3 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:14 AM

I sent out out some birthday party invites via myspace for all the "Phoenicians" that I knew... It saves on stationary...
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#4 User is offline   Anton Icon

• Group: Donators
  • Interests:"I sit around, watch TV, get high and talk bollocks." Anton circa 2009

"I sit around, watch TV, get high, talk bollocks and play boardgames" Anton 2019

That is what we call personal development.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Myspace found me two bitches. I can't complain and will never tire of mentioning it. Facebook is a vastly superior site for its purposes just seems slightly worse for the old whore hunting missions.

Facebook seems good in that its like a bastard child of Myspace and Friends Reunited helping you keep in touch with long lost friends but for me, I've kept all my friends and the ones I haven't kept up with i don't really like anyway.

The rest just seem to lack purpose and suffer from having way to wide a user base. You come to a site like this one and you can quite safely assume you'll have the more intellecutally minded people and a focus on interesting discussion as opposed to "Who should be kicked out of the BB house?"

Likewise, you go to imdb or deviant art and you know you've got a place to discuss films or art respectively.
What was here before made me cringe and cry.

#5 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Facebook is basically a bunch of egos circling around a dead sun huddling close to one another for warmth. If you totalled up the number of dead and stillborn sub-fora on Facebook, it would probably come close to equalling the number of once-active discussion forums that have died in the last ten years on the internet as a whole.

#6 User is offline   Villager Icon

• Interests:Few and far between

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

I was coerced into signing up to Facebook and MySpace, and was confronted with a list of faces and names that I had quite happily left in the past. I keep in contact with precisely three people that I went to school with, and two of those are very occasional.

If I'm honest, I also have an instinctive aversion to these things because they are predicated and thrive upon something that I never had: popularity. I was a deeply insecure child, and even if I am now perfectly content to be anonymous, the sight of people ferreting about from profile to profile, massaging each other's fantasy personas, brings to mind a part of society I was never equipped to participate in.

#7 User is offline   Johann Icon

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:36 AM

http://virb.com/ (!)

#8 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:40 AM

One major flaw with their opening premise - photos,videos and blogs don't make me me. That's just kipple I leave all over the place as a result of existing.

#9 User is offline   Johann Icon

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, that is kinda horrible - (do good! look good!) - but generally speaking, this seems much nicer to me than facebook and myspace... even if it's just because the design is slicker and way more customizable. It's also lacking a lot of silly gimmicks.

And hey, do you or their statements of what makes you make you? ;)

#10 User is offline   Johann Icon

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:18 AM

neat in some ways: http://my.opera.com/

what else is there?

#11 User is offline   Reliquiae Icon

• Interests:Everything. Mental. Sane. Whatever. Pirates.
  • Yaaarrr!!!

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

I am on face book. It doesn't make who I am though.

I make who I am.
"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Terry Pratchett

#12 User is offline   grapey Icon

• Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

I don't think I've ever been to a single myspace or facebook page.
But I did learn a new "word" in this thread - kipple! ^_^
Is that like kibble only... not?
At last....

#13 User is offline   Mr_Fred_Smith Icon

• Interests:They cannot fly. That fact is now categorically established.
  • Ordinary Joe

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

So far I've joined about 30 "active" groups on Facebook. These groups have scores, sometimes hundreds of members; at their height they're less active than the Flipside is right now, at the point of flickering out (it should have died today, we could have waved lighters in memory of Allende, the Twin Towers and Nuxx). It's pretty much an extension of what Alexander said: joining groups on Facebook is like wearing a Blue Peter badge or an "I Love New York!" t-shirt - once you've joined you've made your statement; no more is required of you.

There's no way that's going to replace discussion forums as we know them - the drive isn't there at all, it's distinctly narcissistic and personality-based in form and function. What Facebook is is a very good java jukebox - it's just a shame that all of the java applets on there are so shit.

This post has been edited by Mr_Fred_Smith: 11 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

#14 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

Absolutely true, but I think the aspect you're not addressing, Am, is the fact that that's what people seem to want. Forums like Flipside aren't closing out of choice, rather as a reaction to the fact that each subsequent generation of net users are more vapid and self-absorbed than the last.

#15 User is offline   Johann Icon

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

View PostAlexander, on Sep 11 2007, 09:07 PM, said:

Absolutely true, but I think the aspect you're not addressing, Am, is the fact that that's what people seem to want. Forums like Flipside aren't closing out of choice, rather as a reaction to the fact that each subsequent generation of net users are more vapid and self-absorbed than the last.

but our generation counts millions..

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users