• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's In A Name? Your advice required

#1 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hello.

As you may or may not know, AKP - the band that originally named this site, years ago, came to an end last year.

I've now got a new band, which is just about to do it's first gig. Sounding sweet it is too, and reactions to the early demo recordings have been overwhelmingly positive, so all is good.

However - recently I made the mistake of sharing details about the band on another online music forum, and the denizens thereof roundly ripped me a new asshole for about three pages, about the name of the band of all things.

The name of the band is Glass.

Their beefs were as follows:

1) There's already a few bands named Glass (I knew this and it didn't surprise me - one word band names are always relatively common. There's no bands in my genre, or my immediate vicinity however so the chance of confusion is slim IMO).
2) It will be hard to find the band in Google, and hard to get stuff on iLike, Last.fm etc as the band name will already be taken, or confused with, an existing band. (This is a valid point, which is why the website is http://www.thesoundofglass.com and the myspace is http://www.myspace.com/thesoundofglass etc)
3) I'm in some way slighting the existing bands called Glass by muddying the waters - I'm hampering their progress in some way by adding to the number of bands with the same name

I'd like your opinion on this - I chose the name because I *knew* it was the right one for the band, I had no doubt whatsoever. It was one of those gut artistic decisions you make and don't question it. Well, not until a group of people on the fucking internets start knocking your conviction.

What would you do? Is it worth changing the band name to make it more unique, to make life easier in the long term - but compromise the artistic integrity of what I'm doing? Or should I stick to my guns, fuck Google and use "The Sound of Glass" as a pseudonym in cases where there may be confusion?

Your input is appreciated!
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#2 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

• Group: Donators
  • Interests:This and that. More this than that if I'm honest.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

point 3 is hilarious - i can't tell if they are arguing from a pseudo-intellectual position or just fear of the free market.

i recently read about a chap who made a name for himself in the san francisco punk scene under the DIY ethic. his band worked hard, got known, started playing bigger gigs - and as a result were branded sell outs by the small music community from where they originated. success = selling out, apparently, even though they had done it all on their own. anyway, he's started "earn it yourself" now which basically means if you've worked hard and done well you don't get slighted for staying underground. google it if you're interested.

anyway, do you really care what the internet thinks? i've never actually heard of a band called Glass away from your project, so it's not like you're stepping on anyone bigs' toes. you're concerned with artistic integrity, not google hits, so why worry? people rarely like a band for the name, or at least not past the music, but they will reject a band for a bad name (or associated connotations).
Devilishly handsome and sarcastic as hell

#3 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

I'll look up "earn it yourself" - sounds interesting, MC Lars seems to have a similar independent/mainstream ethic going on which is interesting, if it can be sustainable against the might of the evil, despicable record companies... *spit*

No, I don't really care what the internet thinks in the grand scheme of things - but if a few people are vociferous enough in their opposition, it's human nature to start to doubt yourself and think "hmmm... maybe they have a point". I'm pretty convinced in this case, the great unwashed don't. Have a point that is.

#4 User is offline   Hollifer Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:art, books, music, having fun with friends, boys

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

I have to agree with pH5.5. I haven't heard any bands with the name Glass either and I don't think it's a bad idea to name them such. And most importantly, if you KNOW it is the right name then it's a shame to change the name to something less than perfect.
The count is neither sad, nor sick, nor merry, nor well; but civil, count, civil as an orange and something of that same jealous complexion.

#5 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there Holl - as a creative person (artist if I'm feeling particularly poncey), you just *know* when things are right, and it's annoying and frustrating when your judgment is questioned.

I've been adding the band to last.fm and reverbnation etc today and yes, in some cases I've had to list the band as "The Sound of Glass" but I'm cool with that. People will like the music no matter what it's called, and real "fans" will know to search for both versions of the name. I'm feeling a lot more secure about it now.

#6 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

View PostHollifer, on Jan 26 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

I have to agree with pH5.5.

ban. now. this grinder has clearly got problems, and is damned for all eternity.

#7 User is offline   Villager Icon

• Interests:Few and far between

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

Personally I would be miffed if another band copied my band's name. Nor would I choose a name that was already taken.

Wouldn't you prefer to be unique? No offence Al but I think the 'artistic integrity' argument is bollocks. 'Glass' is a pretty simplistic name for a band with intellectual pretensions, and I dare say that you could think of another meaningful one with little effort. Gird your loins and find another gut feeling. A band by any other name and all that.

Besides, GlassCEP.com would be a shit URL.

This post has been edited by Villager: 27 January 2009 - 02:48 AM

#8 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

Cheers Vill, it's a tricky one indeed. I was going for a NON intellectual/non-pretentious band name after being saddled with a shit one for the previous ten years. The idea now isn't to beat people over the head with how clever and arty-farty I am, but rather to submit the music/lyrics and let people work it out themselves, if they want to. So that's why a single-word name appeals.

#9 User is offline   Villager Icon

• Interests:Few and far between

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Fair enough in that case - but why then is Glass so special? It's your call obviously, but it seems like you've taken on a lot of issues for debateable benefit.

#10 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I don't know why it's so special really, it's the same reason I write a particular lyric, or choose one chord to follow another. I think (for me anyway) part of being a creative person is having the courage of your convictions. It was right, and I never once questioned it. I am now though, obviously, hence the thread.

The way I see it, I don't have to make a hard and fast decision until the release of the first record, so I think I'll just go about my business and see if there's any fallout from anyone directly involved.

#11 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

muse were originally called rocket baby dolls. the bangles were originally the bangs. the cure were originally easy cure. the eagles were originally teen king and the emergencies. green day were originally sweet children. pearl jam were originally mookie blaylock. pink floyd were at one time tea set. queen were originally smile. and so on, and so on.

stick with it, change it after time, who knows. depends on the strategy i guess. but i don't need to tell you that you've got to be happy as keeping it all going is a labour of love - especially when dragging a band around!

#12 User is offline   Hollifer Icon

• Interests:art, books, music, having fun with friends, boys

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

After all those arguments that everyone has posted, I still say go with your gut feeling. If Glass is right then keep it. If/when it evolves and it no longer feels right then change it. Plus, it's easier to remember the band if it's not some long complicated name :)
The count is neither sad, nor sick, nor merry, nor well; but civil, count, civil as an orange and something of that same jealous complexion.

#13 User is offline   -jeremy- Icon

• Interests:Guitars, women and comic books. Is there anything else?
  • Look ma no hands!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

I think "The Sound of Glass" sounds cooler as well.

The only other glass band I can think of is Glass Tiger. Good luck being cooler than them. :whistling:
-jeremy- (since 1979)
Last.Sunday.Drive
I am batman!

#14 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

i would say "the sound of glass" is fine for the web address etc, but as a band name to go on posters etc? hmmm, the pretension reading is pretty high. it would put me off seeing the band.

#15 User is offline   -jeremy- Icon

• Interests:Guitars, women and comic books. Is there anything else?
  • Look ma no hands!

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

For posters/fliers for shows this is how I would do it:

the sound of
Glass

So you are still promoting the main name yet have all the ingredients needed to find you on the web.
-jeremy- (since 1979)
Last.Sunday.Drive
I am batman!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users