The Grinding Shed: The Ethics Of Claiming Job Seekers Allowance - The Grinding Shed

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Ethics Of Claiming Job Seekers Allowance ...and associated other benefits

#1 User is offline   dickwhittington Icon

• Group: Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

What, if there are any, ethical restrictions are there on claiming Job Seekers Allowance and associated benefits?

Taking into account to the number of people finding themselves in a position of eligibility at the moment, are there questions people will be, or should be asking themselves before signing on?

The two sides of the camp seem to be:

i) Take all you're entitled to, as soon as you can. After all, you paid all those taxes.

ii) Be prepared to take the assistance you're entitled to, but only at the point that you actually need assistance.

This is perhaps particularly pertinent when applied to individuals that have been made redundant, but have been previously earning higher rate salaries. For the sake of argument, let say that is £50,000pa, more than double the national average salary.

When faced with that situation, should we be trying to take what we can to (perhaps vainly) try to maintain the standard of life to which we have become accustomed? Or should we acknowledge our previous good fortune, comparatively managable situation, and leave the money in the pot for those closer to the bottom?

This post has been edited by dickwhittington: 14 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

#2 User is offline   pH5.5 Icon

• Group: Donators
  • Interests:This and that. More this than that if I'm honest.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

jobseekers allowance is a means-tested benefit, i believe. accordingly, if you've been earning 50k unless you've spent it all and have no savings at all you won't get anything.

there was also an item in the news earlier this week talking about the disparity between unemployment figures and those claiming benefits. can't recall the exact figures, but the gap was sizeable.

as for ethics, well, that's down to the individual.
Devilishly handsome and sarcastic as hell

#3 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

I don't really think there's any ethical aspect to claiming benefits - there's an ethical aspec to abusing them, however. I have no problem with people getting jobseekers etc. as long as they are actively seeking work. It's people who see it as a lifestyle choice that annoy the shit out of me. I'm generally proud to live in a country that can support it's unfortunates.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#4 User is offline   Sentient Entity Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:Variable.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

View PostAlexander, on 17 August 2009 - 01:21 PM, said:

I don't really think there's any ethical aspect to claiming benefits - there's an ethical aspec to abusing them, however. I have no problem with people getting jobseekers etc. as long as they are actively seeking work. It's people who see it as a lifestyle choice that annoy the shit out of me. I'm generally proud to live in a country that can support it's unfortunates.

That's pretty much where I stand. I've used benefits in the past when I've been out of work, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if necessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using state aid if you need it to stay alive, provided that when you can work to support yourself, you are prepared to do so. The flaw in the system is that it is far too open to abuse - I've met far too many who are have no intention of ever working to support themselves (often through more than one generation) and are happy to take what is handed out by the state - and who consider themselves entitled to do so because, in their heads, "they are poor", without any intention of shifting themselves from that level. I'm glad I live in a country where if I do fall on hard times, all isn't lost, but some people take it a little too far.

So, answering the original question, Camp 2, essentially.
The glass is neither half empty nor half full. The glass lies.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users