• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcast Recommendations

#1 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

I do love podcasts, I listen to them on the drive to and from work most days.

Here are some of my favourites:

• Last Podcast on the Left (crime, cryptids, UFOs, cults)
  • Criminal (true crime)
  • The Trail Went Cold (unsolved cold cases)
  • S Town (hard to describe but amazing)
  • Dirty John (again, just listen to it)
  • Serial (series 1 and 3)

It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#2 User is offline   darkstrEam Icon

• Group: Members
  • Interests:Designer/artworker for a living.
    Thoroughly world weary.
    Dislikes: Reality TV, small dogs, filling out forms, insomnia.

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

There are two that I listen to with some regularity;
Athletico Mince is a podcast by Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson. It's a surreal view of society, and football. The fact that I have no knowledge of, or interest in football but still find this really funny, speaks volumes.
The Sequelisers is a panel-show contest format where two teams are challenged to come up with improved follow ups to great films that had terrible sequels. They go relatively in depth as to why the original sequel was bad, and go so far as to suggest era specific cast and crew for their improved version, in addition to the plot. They're a few seasons in and still tweaking the format, but it's something entertaining for when I'm busy doing other stuff.
*wanders off muttering to self*

#3 User is offline   The_Roach Icon

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:34 AM

I mostly listen to news/politics shows that I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but I also like:

On the Media - Produced by NPR affiliate WNYC, it's a weekly hour that attempts to contextualize news media based on how it responds to current events and history.
The Dream - Deep dive on Multi-Level Marketing businesses
Behind the Bastards - Biographies of the worst people ever
A Very Fatal Murder - The Onion does true crime (which is better than regular true crime because it doesn't fuck with any real people's lives often decades after a trauma has been moved on from)
The Hour of Slack - Weekly holy barrage from The Church of the Subgenius

#4 User is offline   kretil Icon

• Group: OG

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Last Podcast On The Left is hit or miss for me - it straddles the line between comedy and sorta-documentary, and sometimes it fits what I like, and sometimes is just a little too much "some guys fucking around" for my taste. I haven't listened to a whole lot though, so take that with some salt. I did like the episodes on the Oklahoma City Bombing and Norwegian Black Metal, though.

I can't believe no one here has mentioned Dan Carlin's Hardcore History yet. Amazing delivery, great topics. Dan single-handledly kindled my interest in World War 1 history after always considering it the "less interesting" of the two world wars.

I also really like Stephen West's Philosophize This! as a layman's introduction to philosophy. I think he does a good job keeping it accessible to people like myself that don't know anything about anything.

Alyson Horrocks' Strange and Unusual Podcast is a fun one. Basically just occult stuff, mysterious murders, that sort of thing.

I'm still listening to one here and there and so I'm still too new to it to have strong feelings, but Cults has had a few decent episodes, though I'm not used to the commercials.

The Truth is nice for fictional drama. Some of their episodes were nothing great, but when it's good, it can be very good. Very high production quality for it, too.

It just ended a week ago, but Stoic Meddle was one I thought was a nice short weekly podcast. Not so much one I learned a lot from, more one that just kept things fresh in my mind, and that's kind of what I think he's going for anyway.
Stoic Meditations is a bit more academic, but a similar podcast on a daily basis, a few minutes long each. It's done by Massimo Pigliucci, who is a figure in Modern Stoicism.

This post has been edited by kretil: 03 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

It's not the spaces between the houses, it's the houses.

#5 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Agree with your criticism of LPOTL - sometimes there's too much fucking about and not enough interesting info, and I'd never use them as an authority on the topic they're talking about, although Marcus seems to do a decent amount of research.

I'm going to check out that Stoicism podcast though, I've been into Stoicism as a personal philosophy for a while so this is of interest to me somewhat.

#6 User is offline   kretil Icon

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostAlexander, on 03 January 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Agree with your criticism of LPOTL - sometimes there's too much fucking about and not enough interesting info, and I'd never use them as an authority on the topic they're talking about, although Marcus seems to do a decent amount of research.

Yeah, and it's just sort of borderline - they usually do a good job of having some humor, but still quickly still getting back to the actual information and not drifting off too much, and some of the episodes had me cracking up, it's just other times it's just a little too much.

View PostAlexander, on 03 January 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'm going to check out that Stoicism podcast though, I've been into Stoicism as a personal philosophy for a while so this is of interest to me somewhat.

Similar here, or at least for the past few years. I was aware and interested in it beforehand, but November 2016 had a minor political incident on this side of the pond that made me start looking more into it.

This post has been edited by kretil: 03 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

#7 User is offline   The_Roach Icon

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

The Dollop does a much better job of staying on track, compared to LPOTL. The only issue there is that it's almost entirely American history.

#8 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

I really do need to get into Hardcore Histories, heard nothing but good things about it, and I need to educate myself. All my historical knowledge comes from Horrible Histories at the moment.

#9 User is offline   kretil Icon

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

View PostAlexander, on 05 January 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

I really do need to get into Hardcore Histories, heard nothing but good things about it, and I need to educate myself. All my historical knowledge comes from Horrible Histories at the moment.

I put it off for a long time because I saw it and thought "I'm not in the mood for a four hour long episode, and it's only one part of several" (I started with Blueprint For Armageddon). When I finally did start it, I immediately realized I had been wrong. It's actually the main reason I started listening to audiobooks and using text-to-speech for ebooks in the car. I had thought before it'd be too annoying to remember where I was and pick it up later every time I got in the car, but that didn't happen at all.

Pretty great, went from the drive to and from work being an hour or two of essentially useless time to being, in some way at least, productive. A lot more productive than staring at the license plate in front of me, anyway.

#10 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

I do exactly the same thing - I drive about an hour a day, so I've always got an audiobook or podcast on the go. I've got an Audible account which is pretty great, currently listening to the first His Dark Materials book by Phillip Pullman, and it's excellent because the audio format allows some of the books to me more like radio plays with full casts, SFX, music etc.

#11 User is offline   TonyChef Icon

• Group: Donators

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:14 PM

Young Charlie by Wondery
Six episode dramatisation of the summer of the Manson family. Great contrast between one hosts factual telling of events and the other hosts dramatic first person narrative of Charlie's past.
"...like being toppled on by a wardrobe with the key still in the lock."

#12 User is offline   TonyChef Icon

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

Slow Burn
Season one covers Richard Nixon and the Watergate scandal.
Season two covers the impeachment of Bill Clinton.
"...like being toppled on by a wardrobe with the key still in the lock."

#13 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Cheers TC, not familiar with either of those, but the Manson one in particular sounds interesting.

#14 User is offline   Anton Icon

• Interests:"I sit around, watch TV, get high and talk bollocks." Anton circa 2009

"I sit around, watch TV, get high, talk bollocks and play boardgames" Anton 2019

That is what we call personal development.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

I'll second the comments on LPOL. A friend recommended the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng eps to me but it was way too much frat boys trying to be the funniest guy at the party and not enough grizzly murder details. I should probably start listening to one of the more serious pods but my listening is filled with 3hrs+ of football analytics per week (Double Pivot Pod and Statsbomb for the curious).

Hardcore History is great but I really struggle with multitasking. As soon as I start doing anything other then purely listening my brain blocks it out, 2hrs pass and the Mongols have already invaded Hungary.
What was here before made me cringe and cry.

#15 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Hello Anton, welcome back!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users