Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stoicism For Fun And Profit

#1 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

Over the last couple of years I've really gotten into Stoicism as a personal philosophy/way of life.

No man is free who is not master of himself

I started with Marcus Aurelius then worked my way through Epictetus and Seneca. It's a simple philosophy that largely speaks of accepting things the way they are, rather than wishing they were any other way. Generally helps with work, and home life, and accepting and dealing with challenging situations.

I know Kretil is an advocate, anyone else found a use in Stoicism?
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

#2 User is offline   kretil Icon

• Group: OG

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

Are you just reading through the ancients, or are you also reading stuff from this whole "modern stoicism" thing? Any recommendations?

But, while I've been "into" stoicism for a couple years now, it's not being terribly intense. I've been meaning to read more stuff, so I'm wide open to suggestions. Mostly just listening to the Stoic Meddle podcast (which isn't really exactly an academic or "learning" focused one, more a regular practice kind of thing) and little bits of poking around here and there. I'm working my way through Meditations at work now, though. Since it's more a 'book of quotes' kind of thing, it really lends itself to being put down and picked up later in small bits. Hell, it was written that way anyway. Good for reading sometimes just a couple pages at a time.

Of the more modern stuff, though, I hear about Ryan Holiday and Massimo Pigliucci plenty, but all I've actually read myself is the audibook for The Obstacle Is The Way (not really about stoicism, but stoicism is in there) and Pigliucci's podcast here and there.

It's not the spaces between the houses, it's the houses.

#3 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

Yes, I was going to recommend Ryan Holiday - he comes across as something of a douchebag but that's a side issue. His books (The Obstacle is the Way and Ego is the Enemy) are pretty much about modern application of Stoicism. He's also got one called the Daily Stoic which is a separate Stoic quote and discussion for each day of the year which is pretty lovely.

Oddly, I got introduced to it through Tim Ferriss, so worth checking the archives of his podcast for Stoic thinkers and advocates.

#4 User is offline   Johann Icon

• Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Turn your body inside out like a piece of cloth, look how it is made from the inside and what it will be when age, sickness and debauchery have taken their toll on it! Of short duration are those who praise as well as those who are praised, those who remember and those who are remembered. And even that happens just in one corner of the world, and even there not everybody agrees with one another, a single person doesn't even agree with themselves. This whole Earth however is but a dot.

Marcus Aurelius, kinda like Douglas Adams before that and later Meister Eckhart, made my ears tingle with how simple they sometimes put the most awesome things. I still remember where I sat when I read the above quote, ~21 years ago..

This post has been edited by Johann: 11 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

donkeys like carrots / carrots don't like donkeys / it's silly, but it's funny
mein shizzle

#5 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Indeed. I can't remember the exact quote, but Marcus Aurelius said something like

If it can be endured, endure it

Which always stuck with me. Like, when things are going really badly, and you think "I can't cope with this", but yet you are coping with it, so just continue to do so.

#6 User is offline   Johann Icon

• Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

The exterior things touch the soul in no way. They have no access to it and neither can change the mood of the soul nor move it. Rather it gives itself its mood and movement, and according to its judgements that it makes about its own dignity, it also values the exterior objects higher or lower.

If something in the exterior world makes you discontent, then it is not that object which troubles you, but rather your judgement of it; yet to blot out this judgement instantly is within your power. And if your dissatisfaction is based on the condition of your soul, who can prohibit you from correcting your views? Likewise, if you are discontent because you are not doing what seems reasonable to you, why not be active rather than discontent? "But something stronger than me is obstructing me." Still, do not be discontent; for the cause for your inaction is not within you.

donkeys like carrots / carrots don't like donkeys / it's silly, but it's funny
mein shizzle

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users