The Grinding Shed: Do You Do The Exercise? - The Grinding Shed

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Do The Exercise? i have no one else to talk to about this kind of stuff

#1 User is offline   ghoti Icon

• Group: Donators
  • antisocial butterfly. only ever been arrested twice.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

about five years ago, i started working out with a personal trainer 3x a week. i lost some weight and was feeling pretty good and then i did something to my arm/shoulder whilst boxing (trainer with pads, not sparring. i don't like getting hit). i tough-guy'd it out for three months because SURELY it was gonna stop hurting any day now (then). i finally decided maybe i should go see a doctor and see wtf was wrong. turns out, i had partially dislocated my shoulder, torn a rotator cuff (supraspinatus) almost all the way through, and ripped through the cartilage around my shoulder socket. yay! that explained all the pain, at least. by the time a surgical solution was offered to me, the pain had blended in with my normal, chronic levels (whole other topic) so i did nothing beyond some physiothereapy that i'm pretty sure did fuck all. the really bad part of this story was that i stopped training and gained back all the cupcakes. i mean weight.

so about 2 year ago, or not quite, i started training again. i joined a private gym here in belfast and started working my ass off. i do powerlifty stuff now. squats, deadlifts, bench presses (db AND bb), overhead presses, farmers carries, kettlebell stuff, sleds, all kinds of stuff. i started off going 3 days a week, but now i go 6. i love it. but i also hate it. but i totally love it.

i'm still chubby (and i'm actively working on that at the moment), but i'm strong AF - especially for a 48 year old woman. i've done lots of manual labour-type jobs in my life so i'm used to being strong, but i lost a lot of it in the past 14 years (multiple reasons - crippling grief, depression, computer job, sweet tooth, etc). i'm getting it back and i feel really good about it. for instance, i can lift 100lbs in each hand, suitcase-stylee. hells yeah!

so what do ya'll do? and why? what sparked it, or have you always done it? i'm interested. tell me about it.
she had denied all allegations of her loneliness, that battle had been won with scars still under wraps. she may have dropped the world, but she would not let us down.

#2 User is offline   Alexander Icon

• Group: Admin
  • Your fuckin' daddy

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

About 5-6 years agp I did that thing where I realised I was getting a bit of a gut and this appalled me. So I instantly joined a gym and have gone about 3 times a week ever since.

Started off with a classic bodybuilding programme with HIIT which solved the initial problem, then transitioned into strength training, did one (1) strongman competition, came 9th out of 16 but it was a good experience.

Then shortly after, strained my psoas squatting - this was in 2015 and it's still not right to this day, despite physio etc. So I can't deadlft or squat heavy anymore without aggravating it so I'm back to lowish weight, high reps.

I find going to the gym is good for my shonky mental health and I train with a pal so it's a nice social thing to do as well.

At the peak of my stongman training I had a deadlift PB of 225kg. There's video of me trap bar deadlifting 200kg for 19 reps also.

I am currently reasonably jacked.
It's not the houses, it's the spaces between the houses.
akpcep.com - Everything | alexanderking.co - Me

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users